Thursday, April 24, 2008

I Can't Look Away



I grabbed this pic off of Carole's post today. This is a pic from the homeless breakfast outreach that our church does every Thursday morning. I wish I could go and be a part of this outreach, but I have to work.

I remember probably the first time I saw a homeless person (and knew that they were homeless) was when I was 18 and had moved to California. CULTURE SHOCK! I cried and cried. I always wanted to give all of my money away. After I lived there a while and realized that I couldn't help every homeless person that I saw everyday I started to look away. It was easier not to make eye contact, because if I did my heart would just break. Of course I'm a different person now than I was then. If seeing a homeless person broke my heart before I was a Christian, imagine what it does to me now. Now, I can't look away no matter what. I know that I can't help everyone, but if I can help just one then that's what matters. Take a good close look at their faces, look them in the eyes, touch their hearts with the love of Christ, let them know that their lives matter. They matter to God and they should matter to us also. I am thankful that even though I can't physically go to this outreach every Thursday morning I can still be a part through my giving. I can see pictures, read blogs, and hear stories about when they first started this outreach they fed about 20 homeless people every week and now they feed close to 300. Wow...that is awesome! God, just keep sending them and we'll keep feeding them!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

That kind of ministry is awesome, and I wish that I could be a part of something like that too. We are to be servants like Christ! Maybe you can work out with your boss to let you off a few hours on Thursday and maybe you could make it up by staying late or working half a day of Saturday. Best wishes, I hope you can!